The oldest association of musicians in Canada, the RCCO was founded 1909 in Brantford, Ontario as the Canadian Guild of Organists, with the name being changed to the Canadian College of Organists in 1920. In 1959, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted the use of the Royal prefix in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the College and of its significant contribution to the cultural life of Canada. Originally incorporated in the Province of Ontario, the College was re-incorporated as a federal corporation in 1993 in recognition of its national character. Today, the RCCO is the national voice for Canada’s organ community representing organists, composers, organ-builders, educators, choir directors, and others who share an interest in the organ and its music.
This Historical Plaque is located at the building in Brantford where the inaugural meeting was held.
Many eminent Canadian musicians have served the College as its Presidents.