Minister of Music
Westminster United Church, Whitby, ON
Westminster United Church in Whitby is seeking a part-time Minister of Music to join their dynamic Ministry team.
Westminster is an affirming church that welcomes diversity and all age groups to be part of a church community of 350 and includes an active Sunday School group as well as a growing online presence.
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Lead Minister, the Minister of Music will create an atmosphere of celebration and reverence to God through music for all worship services. The Minister of Music leads and directs the church music program to include choirs, vocal, instrumental, and other expressions of musical experience. The church has a 3-Manual Phoenix organ ( 2003) and a 6’ grand Heintzman piano ( 201).
The Minister of Music fosters an innovative, blended style of music to enhance and support the worship message goals. The Minister of Music is responsible for directing a Senior Choir of 20, a Praise Band of 8-10 and advising and overseeing youth involvement in worship services. The Minister of Music is also responsible for providing music for additional musical presentations.
This is a permanent part-time position that will require a commitment on average of 20 hours per week.
Westminster United Church is an affirming church where all are welcome to participate fully in the life of the church.
● Provide inspiring and motivational music ministry during all worship services ( in person and virtually) and Westminster program/events, being sensitive to the involvement of all age groups and our affirming stance.
● Lead the congregation, utilizing a variety of styles of music.
● Uplift our United Church values through the exploration of world music sounds.
● Plan, organize and lead the music ministry.
● Lead rehearsals for Senior Choir and the Praise Band, Salt, September-June and arrange special music in the summer months.
● Assist and oversee developing opportunities for Youth involvement in Worship services and Westminster special events.
● Lead and direct the various components of the music programs including the choir(s), vocal, instrumental, and other expressions of musical experience.
● Collaborate with the Lead Minister and Worship Committee to select all worship music.
● Working with our livestream and tech team, utilize technology in planning and presenting music to enhance the worship message and experience by ensuring any tech needs such as mics has been communicated to the team
● Work with the Lead Minister and Worship Committee to recruit and schedule special music to add variety to worship and supplement in-house assets.
● Arrange for and prepare music components for special worship programs for Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Longest Night and Easter Sunrise services, which may vary.
● Plan and provide music for scheduled weddings and funerals.
● Participate in the weekly staff meetings, meetings with the Lead Minister and Worship Committee, monthly Council meetings and other relevant planning sessions as they may arise.
● Ensure copyright conditions for music are met.
● Maintain effective communication with the Lead Minister, Worship Committee and other Ministry team members.
● Oversee the orderly maintenance of the music library and a database of hymns, anthems and praise music used in worship. The actual filing may be delegated to a volunteer.
● Acquire the music, equipment and supplies required to perform designated duties in accordance with Westminster’s financial policies.
● Ensure that musical instruments such as pianos and organ are regularly maintained.
● Manage the Music Ministry budget and submit required reports and requests by specified deadlines.
● Adhere to Westminster employment policies.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following skill sets:
● Extensive musical leadership and performance experience in church settings.
● Willing to explore a variety of music and how it is expressed
● Good communication skills which include an ability to problem solve.
● Consistently demonstrates a generous warm and welcoming presence to all, in keeping with the Westminster United Church commitment to inclusion and its designation as an affirming congregation.
● Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a closely knit ministerial team.
● Self-motivated learner and adept at sourcing materials.
● Ability to maintain a holistic view of church activities to understand how they are connected and impact each other.
● Excellent and accurate oral and written communication skills.
● Confident and able to plan and organize own work to meet established objectives and deadlines.
● Collaborative problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
● Able to use interpersonal skills effectively when working with congregation members, visitors, tenants, and vendors.
● Can be trusted and relied on for discretion when dealing with matters pertaining to privacy and confidentiality of information.
● Has working knowledge and proven experience with MS Office products, Zoom, YouTube and various social media platforms, software.
● Preference given to those with a post -secondary education in music ( degree/ diploma).
● Satisfactory criminal reference check ( including vulnerable sector) completed within the last 3 months.
● Current registration/ professional membership in a recognized ( church) music association.
● Familiar and comfortable with United Church liturgy and practices.
Private lessons using church resources may be negotiated.
COVID considerations: following current government and local health authority guidelines.
Application deadline: Nov. 24/23
Expected start date: January/24. To be negotiated at the time of hire
Salary: To be negotiated at time of hire using the United Church of Canada current salary guidelines for Ministry Personnel and the RCCO Table of Salaries
United Church of Canada Benefit Package offered - uccbenefits.ca
Interested applicants please apply by email to:
m.dingman@ rogers.com with the words “Minister of Music” in the Subject heading.
In your application please explain your interest in applying and include your resume and references. Any questions may also be directed to this address